Covenant World Relief, Metro and Syria and South Sudan
Last Sunday, Peter announced that part of last year's Christmas Offering is being designated through the Covenant World Relief to help the Syrian Refugees. I wanted to learn more about how our gifts would help so I wrote to Chrissy Palmerlee at CWR and she responded by first writing, "Thank you for this email and for the strong support from Metro for CWR. We are grateful!" Then she added this gratifying information:
Here is a quick listing of our response in Syria and with Syrian refugees:
1. Inside Syria, we are working with a local partner (who we cannot name publicly but I am glad to talk by phone with you about who this is) to provide emergency relief including food, water, and medical care to those who are trapped and suffering in Aleppo.
2. We are serving Syrian refugees in Lebanon with medical care and sanitation.
3. We are serving Syrian refugees who flee to Greece with sanitation, hygiene, and baby care kits.
In South Sudan, we are doing a lot of work with the Covenant church there (ECC of South Sudan and Ethiopia—ECCSSE) and the most updated information on our projects includes:
1. Peace, Reconciliation, and Healing program. This is a long-term approach to healing the violence that has pervaded the country. We wrote up an article on this in the Fall CWR newsletter and it will be featured in the upcoming Serve Globally newsletter.
2. Responding to flooding in Fangak with emergency relief (food, shelter, basic supplies)
3. A program called Vulnerable and Orphaned Children serves the most at-risk children in South Sudan and refugee camps surrounding. This program provides health care, school books and uniforms, food, and vocational training for their mothers.
4. We are also working with refugees to plant and tend gardens in their refugee camps. This serves multiple purposes, but primarily it provides nutritious food and a source of income for the refugees who tend the gardens. One of the women who manages one of the gardens is featured in this fantastic news piece called the “Long Road”. It is a lengthy piece, but so helpful to understand the situation.
There is a significant amount of CWR work happening in both of these contexts.
The Evangelical Covenant Church
8303 W Higgins Rd
Chicago, IL 60631-2941
Metro, we can be very thankful that God has given us an opportunity to make a difference in our very hurting world this Christmas. When each one of us chooses to be generous, lives are changed. When we pool our gifts and all give together, the impact of our gifts is multiplied many times over. Being part of a group of compassionate, generous followers of Jesus is an incredible privilege.
This Christmas Sunday there will be baked goods to buy in support of this year's Christmas offering and we hope you will indulge! But we can't possibly bake enough goods to reach our goal. Let's each one of us search our hearts with God's help and challenge ourselves to give beyond our comfort zone this Christmas. After all, Jesus gave everything for you and me!
To give to Metro's Christmas Offering, click HERE
To give to Metro, click HERE
To read more about the Covenant World Relief click HERE
Submitted by Linda Swanson